Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Life of Alex

I work at a Deli in a supermarktet. Im on my 2nd week and I really enjoy what I do. How rare is that.

The people I work with are generally in the early 20s. Mostly University students. My Manager is probably about in her mid 20s. We do have some older employeers (30 ish and 40 ish) but its only two.

Bottom line. Its a young group and generally everyone is nice to talk to, open minded and we have really amusing conversation that usually end in a perverted way (ah yes, youth!)

Most of the time my manager doesnt come to the deli. She is a behind the scenes manager. She swings by to deliver our schedules. But today she was hanging around a lot. I dont mind. I like her. She is really cool and I think we'd have a lot to talk about given the time.

I was also happy she was there because I needed to give her my mobile number to pass on to another employee.

She next to a co-worker of mine (a studying nurse. Awesome girl) when I approached her and asked her for an unrelated work favour. She looked at me really seriously and asked "Is it a personal issue?"

"Uhh...No..."

The co-worker kinda went "Oh. I should leave", then hurried away and I was just standing there going "wtf".

Anyway I gave her my mobile number and she hung around for a while doing this an that while I did this and that.

When I had a free moment she called me over.

"I wanna ask you a personal question. Feel free to tell me to back off or anything but I just want to know should we be refering to you as a boy? Ive noticed that people call you as a girl but you also get called 'mate' and thats a male word...so, I just want to know how you feel and what you want"

I thought she was really nice about it. I mean, she did all the appropriate confrontation things so I didnt feel awkward...and yeh...

I told her that Id probably prefer to be refered to in male pronous (he, him, his) and she said that was all cool and she'd talk to the big boss about it.

Apparently when the two big bosses of the store interviewed me they went and told my manager - "We're sending you this new girl to train in the deli but...she's very boyish"

My manager then went on to say that if there is anything I need or wanna talk about work related or personal I was welcome to talk to her. I then said I dont want to make any trouble with anyone here and when and if I decide to transition and take hormones or something then Id let her know way in advance so she'd have time to do whatever and for me to do whatever.

Some of my other co-workers already knew and well, found out anyway as I talked to my manager about gender reassignment surgery (She requested this! I was so surprised. She hung on my every word...even the really grotty ones like the 2 inch clit you might get)

Yeh she was fancinated and told me "I dont have any problems with you. Its your life and you are happy to be whoever you want. But if anyone gives you a hard time make sure you report that immediately"

We then wrapped up the convo and a customer got really shitty and stormed off because she wanted to be served and I needed only 1 literal second top thank my manager.

I apoligised to the customer but she hissed something at me and walked away only to return a few minutes later. I went to go serve her but she spat coldly "Dont even bother! Id rather wait!" (She said this then pointed at my co-worker)

Suit yourself lady. If you want to get worked up and waste time over a misunderstanding the go ahead.

Moral of this little story is that you should always be forgiving and that you should wait until you have heard everything before you complain or get emotional (angry, sad, etc). Because it might not be what it seems.

And if it wasnt what it seemed, then you wasted time being unhappy.

Life is too short to be unhappy.

Sorry to preach but this can be applied in pretty much every relationship. To spouse, stranger, child or friend.

Eg. When your child hits the cat dont yell at them immediately.

Ask them "Why did you do that?"

Maybe the cat scratched them for reasons out of the childs control. Or maybe you suspect it was the doing of your child.

"Why did he attack you"

"I pulled his whiskers"

"Why?"

"I dont know"

"If you were a cat and someone pulled your hair, how would you feel?"

"Angry"

People need to empathise. I think this exercise is great in teaching the dos and donts to more aggressively inclined kids (like I was myself)

Anyway, Im sorry to rant and stuff like that. But I just needed to get it out of me.

I slept over at Waffles House last night. I went there straight from work then left straight for work the next morning. We stayed up until like 2 playing Mario Kart on his retro Nintendo 64 and drinking Vodka Cruisers. Then we went to bed (which doesnt mean sleep) and ended up talking till like 4am which was nice because we talked about a lot of this. Important and unimportant.

I punished him for keeping me up by making him get out of bed to say goodbye to me before work. And before I left I asked him a favour.

Waffles is a great debater.

A Master -

*Waits for laughter to stop*

Anyway he is good.I mean REALLY good..so I thought...who else could I agrue with appart from myself about my trans issues?

So I brought up issues about things that made me feel like a guy and so on and he tried to shoot them down. It went on and off for a bit and then he told me something of his opinion.

Ive always seemed like a guy to him.

He also reads my blogs and we chat almost everyday in some form or another and he said it surprises him a bit that I say/write about how I cry or get really upset about these problems. Because when he sees me, he seems me embracing everything and just riding it and not caring.

Interesting for me to hear that.

Anyway. I have to eat some sundried tomatoes (no reason other than I want to) and then Im gonna watch an Anime that Waffles gave me.

Goodnight and have a good day

1 comment:

CynicalRamblings said...

Fry! you've literally been MIA from any other form of communication for me. Or is it me being more MIA...hmmm I wonder...indeed I do. Good to hear what's new and interesting in your life. Thinking about everything, your entire situation if you will...I'm glad to hear you have both sides, both the understanding-interested people and the nose-stuck-so-far-up-their-asses people. it'll be the challenges you have to face that will make you stronger. and that'll allow you to be strong enough to face anything.

Master...oh funny...real funny XD

Anyway, take care of yourself, stay cool, and random pigeon attacks...yes, you heard me...

Jen